INDIANA MIDDLE LEVEL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
- dedicated to promoting, improving, and supporting middle level education-
Susie Highley – Executive Director
11025 E. 25TH St., Indianapolis, IN 46229
PH: 317-894-2937 EMAIL: IMLEA_ED@iasp.org
National Forum to Accelerate Middle Grades Reform - “Schools to Watch” State Director
Association for Middle Level Educators Affiliate Office
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP:
- IMLEA is the only professional education association in Indiana strictly committed to middle level education, grades 5 through 9.
- Members receive discounted registration to IMLEA’s State Conference and On-Site and Regional Workshops.
- IMLEA is the state office for the “Schools to Watch” program and our Executive Director is the State STW Director. Information about the STW process is available on the IMLEA website. STW identifies exemplary middle level schools in any configuration between the grades of 5 – 9. IMLEA facilitates the STW application and designation process and hosts STW trainings.
The Schools to Watch Self-Study and Rubric are available online. The process is based on the vision of the National Forum for Middle Grade Reform and the STW criteria which aligns with PL 221. It is available on the IMLEA website on the STW page. Our designated "Schools to Watch" will be available for networking and field visits (when conditions permit). To be a STW a school must be publicly funded. Lilly Endowment,Inc and IASP help fund STW which is free to all schools.
- IMLEA is the Indiana Partner for the “Champions Together” program sponsored by the Special Olympics, a National program.
- IMLEA members receive a PDF and hard copies of the 12 page newsletter, Middling’ Around, in the Fall and Spring (During COVID, this is on pause)
- A bi-weekly e-newsletter, the "Monday Minute," is sent out with news of the latest resources and professional opportunities for middle level teachers and administrators.
- IMLEA regularly collaborates with other Indiana education associations, government agencies, and policy makers to monitor legislation and support only what is best for middle level students and educators in Indiana. When appropriate, IMLEA provides a legislative voice through testimony of information at appropriate House and Senate sessions
IMLEA’s website, www.imlea.org, provides the most current middle level updates and news on state and national policy and legislation as well as research on middle level job opportunities, grants, recommended websites, technology tips, best practices and instructional strategies. Members, using their member-only access, are able to network electronically with colleagues through the website.
IMLEA’s Board of Directors includes 24 Regional Coordinators, representing 12 different regions in Indiana. The IMLEA Board includes both teachers and administrators. We have five officers, an Executive Director, President, President-Elect, Executive Secretary/ Treasurer, & Recording Secretary. The entire Board meets quarterly each year, generally in Sept., December, February, and May or June.