Supporting Indiana educators/administrators and Youth Development Professionals with philanthropy education, service and service-learning resources from generationOn and Learning to Give.
Theme for February:
Black History Month
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service 2019 – “January 21, 2019 – This is a great day of service for kids and teens to learn about the history of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. while getting more actively involved in civic engagement. Find more resources here
- Citizenship and Civic Engagement Projects and Resources: View Related Projects, Fact Sheets, Books here
- Social Justice: View Related Projects, Fact Sheets, Books here
- Peace and Kindness: View Related Projects, Fact Sheets, Books here
- Bullying and Inclusion: View Related Projects, Fact Sheets, Books here
Do Your Own Think Guides: Help kids and Teens understand, plan and execute their own service or service-learning project, helping them take action that changes the world around them.
- This service-learning process is a research-based teaching and learning strategy that engages youth in service to meet learning objectives and address real-world issues. Check out these resources that take your though the IPARDE process.
Register here – Log in
- IPARDE Resources – Investigate, Preparation, Action, Reflection, Demonstration, Evaluation
- My Dashboard – lists the school and/or club you have joined, bookmark your resources
- Classrooms and Schools – School Directory, Register Your School, Resources
- Resources – Why Service-Learning, LTG – Curriculum Partner, IPARDE resources
- Projects and Causes – 13 Issue Areas
- Fact Sheets – Reading Lists – Do Your Own Thing
- Guides Clubs for Kids and Teen
- Black History Month: Explore the role of African Americans in U.S. history and service. View African American Philanthropy lessons here.
- Presidents’ Day (Third Monday of the Month): This is an opportunity to explore the role of presidents in advancing social justice, human rights, and personal responsibility. View Presidents’ Day lessons here
- Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14): Help students demonstrate their caring and friendship through acts of caring and kindness. View Valentine’s Day and Random Acts of Kindness lessons here.
New on LTG:
· Current Events page – This page provides tools and tips related to current events. Involve your students’ voice and action to make a difference.
- Difficult Conversations – Find tips and resources about addressing challenging issues in the classroom.
- Media Literacy Tips – Help your students evaluate the roles of media, bias, “facts”, and critical thinking related to current events and controversial topics.
· Ten Ways to Get Started
· Build Community – Activities to get to know
your students and their passions
· Develop Skills and Knowledge – Activities and lesson plans to help foster a culture of caring, respect, and purposeful inquiry
· Take Action – Activities and lesson plans to connect learning to community and empower students’ voice and choice to take action to make a difference
· Plan Giving Instruction for 2018-2019 –Align lessons and service-learning projects to monthly events and themes
· TeachOne initiative- Single-session lessons with a project idea adaptable for your grade and subject area
School Information Form Fill in this online form to receive more information
Examples of Indiana Schools Service-Learning Experiences.Steps to Register: Self-School-Join school accounts
Learning to Give Website Video Tour (Beth Smith)
Director, INSPIRE3 (formerly genOn Indiana)
Phone: 317-891-9900 x201
Office in IASP Building, Indianapolis
Beth Smith, Bio
Consultant, generationOn Indiana
Darlene Short, genOn IN
Field Rep Southern IN, Teacher
Castle North MS, Newburgh, IN
Jack Birmingham, genOn IN
Field Rep Northern IN
Union Twp. Schools, Valparaiso, IN email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Crick, genOn IN Field Rep, Northeast, Counselor at West Noble Elem, Ligonier, IN Email: email@example.com
Register yourself on generationOn to receive monthly updates; be eligible for our genOn IN mini-grants ; access all resources on the genOn Website
Register your School as a generationOn School to use the online Schools Service-Learning Tracker; be eligible for free service-learning PD at your school; access teaching resources and support needed to engage your students in academically rigorous service-learning experiences and to build a culture of service in your school and community.
genOn IN Mini-Grant Information for2018-2019
Email Joan for online
Register on generationOn to receive monthly e-newsletters and updates for Educators/Administrators.
– No cost
Register your school as a generationOn School
IPARDE – Stages of Service-Learning Resources generationOn - Why Service-Learning?
genOn – Projects and Causes for
Kids and Teens
genOn - Register a Service Club
LTG – Why Philanthropy Education?
LTG--Ten Ways to Get Started
LTG TeachOne – Four initiatives throughout the year
LTG Plan Giving Instruction through your calendar
LTG Issue Area Page - Lessons and Toolkits
LTG Mini-Courses – Online PD in Philanthropy Education and Service-Learning – Earn PGP points
LTG Create an Account
Download a 2018-19 LTG Calendar
LTG Trending News
LTG Literature Guides